Perfect as I Am (thoughts from a tree)


 

Here I Stand - Perfect as I Am (thoughts from a tree)

By Deborah Sharma

Here I stand
Dismally solitary, isolated from the ‘norm’,
For in my crooked stature, I do not conform.
Yes, I am glaringly different from the rest,
What cruel fate caused me to appear unblessed?
Who would complement me with a second glance?
Whilst others boldly beckon with their proud stance.

Destined to face the elements unsheltered, exposed,
My fragile frame is battered yet I remain composed.
Quivering in wicked wind, pounded by relentless rain,
Caked in intrusive ice, I staunchly bear the strain.

Thirsting in scorching Sun, I long for blissful breeze,
To be shaded and shielded by my fellow trees.
But then on my twisted trunk a soft touch I felt gracing,
Warmth of hand soothing, loving energy embracing.

Here I stand
I am daringly distinctive, defiantly standing my ground,
Self-sufficient with poise, from lies, I am unbound.
For who’s to say what is the norm?
Isn’t it liberating to not always conform?

Does not my difference make me unique?
Does not my indifference add to my mystique?
My curiously remarkable physique says, “This is Me!”
Exceptional, unflinching and victoriously free!
Steadfast and undaunted in my own right,
Thriving in my own joyful, peaceful light.

~ Deborah Sharma



==============================================

Explanation:

I was drawn to a crooked tree (see photo above of me with the tree in question) as I saw certain characteristics of that tree in me. Giving the tree a voice, the first verse imagines the tree being insecure and self-pitying about its appearance compared to the other trees and feeling overlooked by the people who pass through the forest.  It is lonely and destitute in facing the elements.  The hand on its trunk is the reassurance it craves, a 'helping hand' that directs it to recognizing its own worth.

The second verse, is a transformation in the way the tree sees itself, the fact it stands alone actually portrays its strength of being self-reliant and facing the elements actually makes it realize its determination and sharpened coping skills.

It realizes the need to conform in appearance was based was false belief and relishes in its own uniqueness, ultimately acknowledging that true perfection is from within.

Comments