Short poems

 Short miscellaneous poems By Deborah Sharma

Distracted

Escaping to places
anywhere but here,
running away
from truth
into denial.
Instead,
travel to the heart’s peace,
far away
from the mind’s noise,
and just be,
this is where you belong,
You are home,
No more running.


Never broken

I lost my mind and found my heart,
amidst the ruins of delusion,
surrounding love
but never touching it,
protected in a bubble
for the true heart is never broken,
nothing can touch pure love

Family Heirloom

What time is it?
A flick of my wrist
and there is my father’s
trusty watch
conjuring up his image.
Like him, it is reliable.
What touched him
is now a part of me.

 

Hollow

A hollow only You can fill.
Yet, I reject and search for you
at the same time.
Still, You do not forsake me,
always watching and waiting
for my return.

The Panic Attack

Dizzy nausea,
gasping burning chest, 
nervous heart hammers in throat,
as a reckless horse’s thumping hooves

Pent up feeling of doom,
woozily off balance
floating above myself,
like an untamed kite

I’m calling me back,
shocked in raw cold chill,
soothing, slowing, pacified,
resettled as one.

 

Inner fire

Don’t dampen your fire
but don’t let it consume you
burn away your fears
fan the smoldering spark
of love
so it radiates within
and without
Illuminating your truth
you are love
you are perfection

Restoration

Expectations bind
Society limits
is every challenge
a battle to be fought?
Or a struggle to just be me?
Branch off
as life unfolds
each path is unique
though we pass each other by
we do not journey together
I silently withdraw,
Unheard, unseen, forgotten
I have missed myself
My heart yearns for me
seeking to love myself first
Then I’ll love you next.

By Old Thames

Rancid river
city’s age-old companion
keeps her dark secrets
Victorian lamps
stand guard over dull waters
as modern-day sprawls

Cat and Mouse

Cat curled up in comfort
suspicious sly slanted glare
stranger in her home

Meekly hiding twitching
startled by a sudden menace
Shush! Stay tucked away mouse!

Dear TIME

Dear Time, I thought I had
an abundance of your favour,
I believed I had an endless
supply of you to savour

Fly the nest

My heart stays with them,
as they resolve and evolve,
I release and transmute

Express without repercussion

May I have the right to
express myself safely
without suppression please?
Pretty please.
I’m sorry.
Expression without repercussion
is not my right

Chocolate shake

Creative chaos
concocted chocolate milkshake
magically transforms moods
immerse in it’s spell

Morning rain

Spheres of fresh raindrops
reflect perfect pure new worlds
born on thirsty leaves

Lady in a red dress

Artful escape from pompous guests
into musty antiquated library.
Her brazen crimson brilliance
is a sultry fire in a drab room
eager to set cold ablaze
With scarlet heart primed,
secret love appears

Autumn leaves

As river rolls on,
shedding leaves shower dank path
undressed trees wave goodnight
I’m ambling on
a soft scrunching carpet,
My feet swim in a sea of leaves

Sunday/Monday morning street

Sunday morning stillness
hidden from
Monday morning shrillness
oppressive silence of ghostly street
suppressive noise where crowds meet

Mourning dove

Sad haunting cooing
mourning dove’s echoing cry,
he has lost his love
as I have lost mine
but I do not weep like him
He soon flutters away
soaring into a new beginning
I replace one love with another
I don’t know how to fly away

Dad

I still message you,
you reply without words,
you stroke without touching,
you blow a kiss that
cradles my soul,
from the other side

You

Flaws are superficial
Love is perfection
Let love light up your flaws,
they are a celebration
of your humanity

Fed up and Giving up

Exhausted with this sick body of pain
What pleasure is there left to gain?
Embattled in a disappointing fight
With no promising solution in sight.

So let me wallow in my self-pity,
Lonely outsider of this lively city,
There is no happiness here to share,
I am beyond any care of so unfair.
 

 

River

Seasons of endings and 
beginnings cycle continuously.
Yet the river flows steadily through,
the same trusty constant source
A witness to change
A sustenance to all
to those that 
stand on her banks,
such as the moose with
It’s heavy head bent 
lapping languidly 
and fish hidden in her depths 
harness her nurturing support. 
She gives of herself freely
But what does she get in return?
weeping with her gushing current 
as she is filled with toxins 
from waste, pesticides and 
wanton human behaviour 
She is no longer a sustenance
but now a death trap to all

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments